|blank cell||Falschirmjägergewehr 42 Rifle|
|RATE OF FIRE||1/20 per round|
|MAGAZINE CAPACITY||20 rounds|
|BASE RANGE||110 yards|
Designed for Luftwaffe paratroops, the Falschirmjägergewehr 42 was meant to combine the accuracy of a rifle with the firepower of a machine gun. With a bullpup configuration that had the 20-round magazine feeding from the left side above the pistol grip, the FG42 featured a straight-through action that gave decent accuracy with semiautomatic fire and allowed the rifle to be used as a sniper weapon when fitted with a telescopic sight. The action also maintained good cooling during full-automatic fire so that the FG42 made an effective light machine gun. In its dual role, the FG42 also featured a folding bipod and a spike bayonet. The first-model FG42 became available to Luftwaffe paratroopers in 1942, and this was followed by the FG42/II in 1943. The FG42/II was often fitted with a 4x telescopic sight as a sniper rifle, and was used by both the Luftwaffe troops and the Waffen-SS paratroops under the command of Otto Skorzeny.
Only about 7000 FG42 rifles were produced in each of its versions, and the weapon never saw widespread service even with the special units for which it was designed. The FG42 was considered too expensive to manufacture for its limited role as a paratrooper weapon, especially after the cessation of large-scale airborne operations following the Battle of Crete.