blank cell PPSh M1941 Submachine Gun
Stats listed on page 291 of the Delta Green sourcebook
COMBAT USE: Red Army troops, Yugoslav partisans, Wermacht, Waffen-SS

Known as the "peh-peh-shah" to the many Soviet soldiers that carried it into battle, the PPSh41 was one of the most widely-issued submachine guns in history. There are records of entire battalions of Soviet infantry being armed solely with the PPSh41. So many were made and then captured by German armed forces that the weapon was issued to the Wermacht and the Waffen-SS, who often found the PPSh41 superior to their own MP40s. With its modest accuracy, high rate of fire and large drum magazine capacity, the PPSh41 could be used as a bullet hose, lethal in house-to-house fighting, and was thoroughly rugged and easy to maintain.

The PPSh41 was based on the PPD submachine gun, itself based on the venerable Finnish Suomi design. The Soviets had learned the hard way the effectiveness of the Suomi submachine gun during their Winter War with Finland, and after their production facilities for the PPD were overrun by German forces during Operation Barbarossa, the Soviets designed the PPSh-41 to take its place. Built for ease-of-manufacture, the PPSh41 was also designed to be rugged and easy-to-use by even the least-trained troops. Later models could only fire full-automatic and were issued with 35-round stick magazines, but despite decreases in manufacturing quality the basic design of PPSh41 with its chromed barrel allowed it be effective even when feeding the worst ammunition.

The popularity of the PPSh41 with their troops caused the Germans to convert the model to 9mm Parabellum and issue them with 32-round MP40 magazines, but German troops continued to prefer the Soviet-made version. The PPSh41 was also supplied to partisans in Eastern Europe, and put to great effect in the guerilla warfare of Yugoslavia and Poland.


DELTA GREEN 1939-1945 : EQUIPMENT : SUBMACHINE GUNS